The Process of working in Adobe Premiere Pro

I have chosen to learn my way around Adobe Professional Pro to create my moving imagery.

pic_disp.php (400×420)Image retrieved 4/11/14 from:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-Professional-GPU-Acceleration-502/

I wanted to use Premiere Pro as I have home access to it, it is a well used software with lots of helpful tutorials. So far I have found it fairly straightforward to use.

Once I had my footage I went through each individual clip and cut out the parts that I wanted.

Screen shot 1 I used the razor blade tool to cut with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqFrZ5CdYWI This link also shows how to unlink video and audio layers so you can cut using the razor, only certain layers.

Screen shot 2 I was able to move my clips around the timeline without overlapping and cutting out parts of other clips. This was great to play around with the sequence. I followed these helpful links to learn how:
http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/rearranging-clips-sequence.html and

http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/premiere-pro-cc-shortcuts/

Once I had a rough idea of the sequence I imported my Audio ‘Suburban Secrets’ – Indi https://soundcloud.com/indycloud/suburban-secrets

I then listened to the crescendos in the music and matched them with parts of strong interest in the imagery that matched. This took a while to work out, as once I had moved the clips they put other things in the sequence out of balance. I had to carefully work each clip so its length followed and tied in.

There are some parts of the video I have reversed and slowed or sped up,

screen shot 3

I have only added a very small amount of special effects as I have a general belief in life that less is more.  

Here is the link I used to learn how to adjust speed and duration along with reversing playback: http://blog.infiniteskills.com/2012/08/adobe-premiere-pro-cs6-tutorial-speed-up-slow-down-reverse/

Credits:

I decided to use plain simple black font on a white background. The font I choose was ‘Letter Gothic’ – Standard

A Dream by My Children L I created these images in Photo Shop as large Jpeg’s so the quality was smooth. I then imported then into Premiere Pro and placed them on the time line in the order I wanted them to appear. I needed to place a plain white back ground underneath them so that when I created the transitions there would not be any areas of black.

screen shot 5

I needed to scale the jpegs with text to the size I wanted them to appear on the screen. I clicked on ‘motion – under video effect from the ‘Effect Controls’ tab. I then just grabbed the box and moved it as you would in Photoshop.

Screen shot 7

Here is the link I used which taught me how to crop footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OYJGZ9nxPs

Only during the entry, exit and credits do I use transitions, the rest of the clip I just left as is – fast crisp and clean frame changes.
The transition I used  was a cross dissolve for all.

Screen shot 6 Here is the link I used to learn how to apply my transitions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eku4Jic3bWk

I choose to have simple fade in and out credits rather than rolling ones. Rolling ones are more for films or TV shows, A Dream by My Children is neither of them. It is an artistic piece of moving imagery.

A few things I have learnt which are very important, are to… #1.. Save, Save, Save! always save your work as I lost all mine and had to make the entire clip up again from the beginning after my 3rd Critique – It wasted hours and hours of time. #2 to render your work before you export it. This improves the quality a great deal.

How to render: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/rendering-previewing-sequences.html

I also found through trail and error that you can simply hit ‘enter’ and your video will automatically start rendering.

Here is a link I used to learn how to properly export my video at its highest quality. I must say it is very good, the quality of my video was amazing compared to using the standard ‘U Tube’ or ‘TV’ settings. This way my video works well on the USB in my TV and the TV I will be using for exhibition. The quality is excellent.

The format I use is H.264, the preset I use is HD.264 with a frame rate of 29.97 I also tick the ‘render at maximum depth’ box and tick the ‘use maximum render quality’ box

Screen shot 4 It takes about 12 mins to export.

Here is the link I followed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuFn0ia-7P8

Advertisements

About jessshirley1981

Hi there, Im a 33 year old mum of two, a 7 year old daughter and a 5 year old son. I am studying for the BA in Arts & Media part time, I have just finished L6 Studio this semester 2, 2014. My passion is photography, here is a link to my facebook photography page for those of you that are interested https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jessica-Shirley-Photography/414300345298086
This entry was posted in A&M 604, Experimenting & Editing. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s