This week were were given an introduction to Project 2 ‘Identity’ by one of our tutors Kay Van Dyk.
We have been given a power point about it which covers it I will go through the main points.
- It is a 5wk project due 4pm Fri 18th April.
- Research and explore “Identity’ to produce a work or series of works that visually represents myself.
- Explore my background, motivations, interests and concepts such as my gender, culture, politics, spirituality, ethics.. what does it mean to be me and where do I position myself as an artist.
- Where do I sit in the world as an artist? What kind of Artist am I and what do I aspire to be?
- How does the viewer see me?
- What have I got to say, and why do I want to say it?
- Research, research, Research!
- Research theorists, and artist/designers who are working in the field of identity, and make links to your own work. The links could include conceptual thinking, visual language, media/modality, display
- What are the commonalities and how do they relate to your ideas.
- Consider your audience and context for the presentation of your finished work/s.
- This identity can be an honest one, but it can also be totally constructed – Jose Cachemaille
The Power Point has given a list of questions to think about for this project –
Who are you, the artist?
How do you as the artist want to present yourself in the world?
What do you have to say?
Why? What has informed this?
Where do you situate or position yourself?
What modality will you use to show this?
What style or aesthetic will you employ and how will this inform the work?
How will you present this to the viewer?
Its a bit of a repeat of the points I have covered before, but it really makes it clear to me what I need to think about for this project.
Time to get researching…